Fifth wheel couplings and mounting plates
JOST submitted the patent application for the first cast steel fifth wheel coupling almost 60 years ago. Since then, JOST’s fifth wheel couplings have been a success story around the world. All renowned vehicle manufacturers put their trust in JOST’s expertise and performance.
The extensive product range and high quality are just as crucial for the customer’s trust as the company’s innovative skill and reliable global supply of finished and spare parts.
JOST provides fifth wheel couplings for any application. This includes weight-optimised pressed metal and robust cast steel couplings for imposed loads between 6 and 74 tonnes. Almost all variants are available with a large selection of pedestals in all common heights and with all common hole patterns for plate and frame assembly. Depending on the model and height, it is possible to reduce the weight by up to 100 kg. Different sensory variants that build on one another guarantee secure operation under all conditions, while the automatic lubrication solutions brought together in the LubeTronic product family save time and money.
Design / features
JOST’s range includes the perfect fifth wheel coupling with the required imposed load for a wide range of applications – from lightweight distribution traffic to normal road transport; from site traffic to heavy duty transport.
- Patented and reliable design
- High-quality casting
- Certification in accordance with ISO/TS 16949
- Excellent corrosion protection
Wide range of products
- Couplings for imposed loads of 6–74 tonnes
- Pressed metal or cast couplings
- Various bearings and mounting heights
- Weight-optimised frame assembly possible
- Low-maintenance variants
- System solutions such as Sensoric and LubeTronic available for all common fifth wheel couplings
- High level of operating reliability
- Regular inspections during series production in accordance with ECE R55
- Can be used in complicated loading conditions
- Automatic latch arrangement
- Only a visual inspection is required to ensure proper engagement
- Protection against unauthorised opening is possible using a padlock
- Various sensory solutions available
High operating comfort
- Long, easy-reach handle
- The operator does not get dirty
- The latch is released using a cable
- Optional: One-handed operation with or without latch
- Global site and dealer network
- Expert individual support by sales and customer services
- Customer support during the planning phase based on CAD data
- Extensive distribution and global supply of spare parts
Very easy maintenance
- Stageless adjustment of the locking mechanism, resulting in lower wear
- Easily replaceable top plate liners
- LubeTronic solutions available for easier lubrication
- All wearing parts available in practical spare parts kits
The fifth wheel type plate is attached, placed on the side of the coupling plate. When ordering spare parts, please quote the model designation and the serial number.
The ECE directives comprise a catalogue of internationally agreed, consistent technical rules for motor vehicles and add-on parts for motor vehicles. The ECE mark is to be attached to every vehicle or add-on part in motor vehicles for which an ECE approval has been issued. The mark consists of a circle with the capital letter “E” and the ID number of the country issuing the approval. Accordingly, “E1” stands for Germany.
Fifth wheel couplings and mounting plates are considered add-on parts for tractors used to connect tractors and trailers, making them vehicle connection parts that are subject to type approval.
For JOST fifth wheel couplings and mounting plates, mainly ECE Directive R55 (Mechanical coupling components of combinations of vehicles) is of relevance. Another important directive for our system solution is ECE Directive R10 (Electromagnetic compatibility).
The manufacturer’s specifications, the JOST mounting and operating instructions and the applicable national regulations need to be observed when mounting, operating, replacing or retrofitting fifth wheel couplings. In Germany, §§ 19, 20, 21 and 27 of the StVZO (German Road Traffic Licensing Regulation) apply.
Explanations of the abbreviations
M = Manual lubrication
Z = Prepared for connection to the central lubrication system on the tractor unit
W = Low-maintenance with plastic top plate liner, lubrication only required on the lock jaw
LT 1P = Low-maintenance version with plastic top plate liners and LubeTronic 1Point for automatic lock jaw lubrication
LT 5P = LubeTronic 5Point central lubrication system
EV = FlashTronic
J = Long handle
K = Short handle
ST = Standard
MAN = MAN
VT = Volvo Truck
MB = Mercedes-Benz
RT = Renault Truck
DAF = DAF
IV = Iveco
SC = Scania
DW = Daewoo
FO = Ford
oZ = Without drawing
BH = Mounting height